Contact Person: Elizabeth Combs
For a day in thou courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness. - Psalm 84:10
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers; for thereby some have entertained angels unaware. - Hebrews 13:2
As an officer of the church, the usher aids the Pastor by ministering to the congregation to ensure a right attitude and spirit for receiving the proclaimed message. This is done in such ways as:
The Ushers Ministry consists of the senior and junior ushers. The Senior Ushers Ministry began in 1941 and the Junior Ushers Ministry began in 1956. This Ministry serves in all church services and other special services.
- greeting persons with a smile;
- extending a warm welcome;
- directing persons to a comfortable seat; and
- maintaining order in and around the church at all times.
The purpose of this office is to be the doorkeepers in the house of the Lord. The Ushers Ministry manifests the agape love of Christ to all who enter the Antioch Baptist Church. This Ministry also assists with directing worshippers in collecting tithes and offering.
The goals of the Ushers Ministry are:
The objectives of the Ushers Ministry are:
- to be a forerunner preparing the sanctuary for worship by ensuring that it is in proper condition;
- aid in promoting harmony and fellowship with the congregation; and
- to ensure that there are no disruptions during worship services and special programs.
The Ushers Ministry has the following elected offices: President, 1st Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Business Manager, Dress Coordinator, and Chaplain. The Ushers Ministry meets quarterly or as needed.
- to receive the order of the day from the Pastor and greet members and visitors;
- prepare the church for a comfortable environment and collect tithes and offerings;
- to ensure that traffic flows peacefully and harmoniously during all worship services; and
- disseminate programs, hymn books, church literature, collection envelopes, fans, and any other literature.